MADELEINE REINES JACOBS
CHARLES R. AND ELMA M. NAESER SCHOLARSHIPS
Summer Research Opportunities In Chemistry
The A. D. Britt, Madeleine Reines Jacobs, and Charles R. and Elma M. Naeser Scholarships honor outstanding GW students in the field of chemistry by supporting summer research opportunities in one of the Department’s research laboratories. After selecting a research advisor from among the chemistry faculty, the award winner and research mentor then choose a suitable research project, which is to be completed during the summer in the laboratory of the mentor. A written report, describing the results of the investigation, is required at the completion of the summer research project. Students who hold Luther Rice or George Gamow awards may not concurrently receive a monetary award from these scholarships, but will be acknowledged. This year we expect to award at least six scholarships, valued at $5000.00 each.
The criteria for the selection of the recipients are as follows:
- Students must be a declared chemistry major at The George Washington University.
- Candidates must have a minimum overall GPA (grade point average) of 3.00.
- Candidates must also have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in the sciences.
- In order to be eligible, applicants must have completed Chem. 2122, 2151, 2152, 2153, and 2154 by the end of the Spring 2014 semester.
- Students enrolled in the BA/MD program are not eligible.
Written applications (sample attached) must be submitted to the Chemistry Office (SEH 4000) by Monday, January 30, 2017. These applications should be a brief letter of interest, along with your GPA, your grades in completed chemistry courses, and the name of a research advisor who has agreed to serve as your research mentor. Award winners will be notified no later than February 17.
The application can be found here.