Undergraduate Admissions & Funding

Prospective Students 


At the Department of Chemistry, undergraduates can learn from American Chemical Society award winners, work on cutting-edge research in our labs or intern with the Smithsonian Institution. They don’t just live in D.C. — they become a part of the nation’s capital and make a difference in it every day. Students shape an individual academic path to match their interests, whether that means searching for cures to critical diseases in a lab or analyzing evidence at crime scenes. And along the way, our faculty offer caring mentorship and top-level experience.


2 undergraduate GW students walking and talking



Transfer Students

To transfer credit for a course or exam (AP/IB/A-Level) taken at another institution prior to matriculating at GW: 

  • A maximum of 24 hours of credit may be transferred from AP and/or IB combined. 
  • Students are responsible for sending transcripts from all previous institutions to the Office of the Registrar and all scores on AP, IB or A-Level exams to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for evaluation.

To transfer credit taken at another school while enrolled at GW: 

GW will accept a maximum of nine transfer credits, or three courses, from other institutions. To begin the approval process, file an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Approval Form with the Chemistry Department.

To transfer into the Chemistry Department from another GW school:

Apply for an undergraduate internal transfer through the registrar's office.


Learn More About Transferring


Current Students

Chemistry Department Funding

The department awards annual A.D. Britt, Madeleine Reines Jacobs and Charles R. and Elma M. Naeser scholarships.

These $5,000 awards honor outstanding chemistry students by supporting summer research opportunities in one of the department’s laboratories. The department awards at least six of these scholarships each year.

Recipients select an adviser on faculty and then work with them to choose a suitable research goal to be completed during the summer. Students complete a written report describing the results of the project. Note: Students who hold Luther Rice or George Gamow scholarships are not eligible for the monetary award but will be acknowledged.

  • Student must be a declared GW chemistry major.
  • Student must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.00.
  • Student must have a minimum GPA of 3.00 in the sciences.
  • Student must have completed CHEM 2122, 2151, 2152, 2153 and 2154 by the end of the spring 2018 semester.
  • Students enrolled in the BA/MD program are not eligible.

Submit required materials along with the completed application form.

  • GPA
  • Grades to date in completed chemistry courses
  • Name of an adviser who has agreed to serve as your research mentor

Scholarship Application Form (PDF)

Undergraduate Student Resources



Academic Commons
Book peer tutoring or review sessions, research and writing help, step-by-step study strategies, language support and more.

Center for Career Services
Take advantage of career and job search coaching, self-assessment services, résumé development, networking and more. (Services offered to students and alumni.)

Undergraduate Advising
Get assistance from your Columbian College academic advisor to navigate declaring a major or minor and other academic support.

Center for Undergraduate Fellowships and Research
Learn about and apply for undergraduate fellowships and research awards.


Undergraduate Research Award
Apply for this $5,000 research award, open to first-years, sophomores and juniors.

Luther Rice Undergraduate Research Fellowship
Apply for a fellowship to support a research project carried out over several weeks or across multiple semesters.

Student Financial Assistance
Look for scholarships, Federal Work-Study positions, military benefits and other funding assistance.

Student Accounts Office
View current tuition and aid information. Applicants who request financial aid will be considered for all forms of aid available based on criteria including undergraduate GPA, courses taken, recommendations, extracurricular activities and GRE scores.