Dr. Ling Hao
Areas of Expertise
Bioanalytical Chemistry, Mass Spectrometry, Proteomics, Metabolomics, Neurodegenerative Diseases
We are hiring!
If you are interested in joining our lab as graduate/undergraduate/visiting students or postdoc fellows, please email me attaching your CV.
Quantitative analysis of biomolecules offers a wealth of clues to understand cell biology and disease mechanisms. Mass spectrometry (MS) has become a central technology to study biomolecules such as proteins, peptides, lipids, and metabolites. Our research focuses on developing novel and improved bioanalytical methods using LC-MS platforms and applying the combination of analytical chemistry, bioinformatics, and cell biology approaches to study human diseases. Specifically, 1) we develop novel proteomics and metabolomics strategies in complex biological samples; 2) we implement multidisciplinary approaches in the human induced pluripotent stem cell (iPSC)-derived neurons, mouse models, and clinical human subjects to study the molecular mechanisms of neurodegenerative diseases.
Postdoc, National Institutes of Health, 2019
PhD, University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2017
BS, China Agricultural University, 2012 Tsinghua University, 2011-2012
- Li, H., Frankenfield, A.M., Houston, R., Sekine, S., and Hao, L., “Thiol-Cleavable Biotin for Chemical and Enzymatic Biotinylation and Its Application to Mitochondrial TurboID Proteomics”. Journal of the American Society for Mass Spectrometry, 2021. (Invited for Emerging Investigators Focus Issue)
- Li, H., Uittenbogaard, M., Hao, L., and Chiaramello, A., “Clinical Insights into Mitochondrial Neurodevelopmental and Neurodegenerative Disorders: Their Biosignatures from Mass Spectrometry-Based Metabolomics”. Metabolites, 11 (4), 2021.
- Frankenfield, A.M., Fernandopulle, M.S., Hasan, S., Ward, M.E. and Hao, L., “Development and Comparative Evaluation of Endolysosomal Proximity Labeling-based Proteomic Methods in Human iPSC-derived Neurons”. Analytical Chemistry, 92 (23), 2020.
- Liao, Y.C., Fernandopulle, M.S., Wang, G., Choi, H., Hao, L., Drerup, C.M., Patel, R., Qamar, S., Nixon-Abell, J., et al. Pasolli, A., Forrest, L., George-Hyslop, P., Lippincott-Schwartz, J., Ward, M., “RNA granules hitchhike on lysosomes for long-distance transport, using annexin A11 as a molecular tether.” Cell, 179(1), 2019.
- Hao, L., Zhu, Y., Wei, P., Johnson, J., Buchberger, A., Frost, D., Kao, W.J. and Li, L., “Metandem: An online software tool for mass spectrometry-based isobaric labeling metabolomics”. Analytica Chimica Acta, 1088, 2019.
- Sliter, D.A., Martinez, J., Hao, L., Chen, X., Sun, N., Fischer, T.D., Burman, J.L., Li, Y., Zhang, Z., Narendra, D.P. and Cai, H., Borsche, M., Klein, C., Youle., R.,”Parkin and PINK1 mitigate STING-induced inflammation”. Nature, 561(7722), 2018.
- Hao, L., Wang, J., Page, D., Asthana, S., Zetterberg, H., Carlsson, C., … & Li, L. “Comparative Evaluation of MS-based Metabolomics Software and Its Application to Preclinical Alzheimer’s Disease”. Scientific Reports, 8, 2018.
- Hao, L., Johnson, J., Lietz, C.B., Buchberger, A., Frost, D., Kao, W.J. and Li, L., “Mass defect-based N, N-dimethyl leucine labels for quantitative proteomics and amine metabolomics of pancreatic cancer cells”. Analytical Chemistry, 89(2), 2017. (Cover article)
- Lu, J., Zhong, X., Liu, H., Hao, L., Huang, C.T., Sherafat, M.A., Jones, J., Ayala, M., Li, L. and Zhang, S.C., “Generation of serotonin neurons from human pluripotent stem cells.” Nature Biotechnology, 34(1), p.89. 2016.
CHEM 4122: Instrumental Analytical Chemistry
CHEM 6222: Biomedical Mass Spectrometry
CHEM 6284: Environmental Analytical Chemistry
CHEM 2123W Introductory Quantitative Analysis Laboratory
Research Courses: 8998, 6395, 4195