Summer 2024 transfer credit evaluation requests will be accepted: February 1 to May 15, 2024.
Undergraduate students who wish to take courses outside of the university must receive prior approval in order to transfer those credits to GW. Each student must have their own TCA form approved for the current school year before the first day of the desired course(s). The Director of Undergraduate Studies in chemistry is the department approver for chemistry transfer and consortium courses.
Please see the section titled Current Students on the Undergraduate Transfer Credit webpage for more information.
Before You Begin:
To initiate the evaluation and approval process, please download, complete and submit by following the instructions on the Transfer Credit Approval (TCA) form (PDF).
- The student must upload their completed TCA form (PDF) along with the course syllabus to the GW Department of Chemistry using the department’s internal Request Form that can be found at the bottom of this page.
- Please complete one internal Request Form for each course or series of courses you want to have evaluated. There is the ability to upload two syllabi for those schools who separate the lecture and lab portions of the class(es). Please reach out to the Chemistry Department if a syllabus from summer 2023, Fall 2023, Spring 2024 or Summer 2024 is not available.
- The internal Request Form must be completed in its entirety even though some of the questions/content may be duplicates of the TCA form (PDF).
- The Chemistry Department will specify the GW equivalent course on the TCA form.
- If the transfer of academic credit form is approved, the student will submit the form to their school’s advising office.
- The school’s advising office must then approve that the course can be taken as a transfer of academic credit.
- Once the TCA form is approved by the school’s advising office, Advising will submit it to the Office of the Registrar. The student should follow up with their school’s advising office.
- Please allow at least two weeks for this process. The student should give themselves enough time as it may take more than one attempt to find an equivalent course.
- For assistance on getting a better sense of whether a request will be approved or not, the student may reach out to the Chemistry Department to request a copy of a syllabus to compare to the transfer course prior to submitting their evaluation request.
- The student must remember to have transcripts that include grades for all of the approved courses sent to GW’s Registrar’s office upon completion of the course(s). Students should also check DegreeMap to ensure that transfer credit has been posted.
Important Key Points to Remember:
- The TCA form (PDF) submitted to the Chemistry Department must be accompanied by the course syllabus in order for the transfer credit evaluation request to be considered. If at the time of the request’s submission the summer 2024 course syllabus is not yet available, the summer 2023, fall 2023 or spring 2024 syllabus may be submitted.
- The course description cannot be accepted in place of the course syllabus.
- Please reach out to the Chemistry Department if no syllabus is available.
- The course syllabus should have the class materials, textbook information and lab manuals listed.
- The chapters should be named or titled so the Chemistry Department knows which topics are covered.
- Lab portions should identify the specific experiments performed.
- Online and hybrid laboratory courses will not be approved for transfer credit.
- GW students are unable to use the TCA process for courses taken during the academic year. If GW Chemistry is not offering the course, consider the Consortium process (link to our consortium page).
- Evaluation requests of a transfer credit course MUST be approved prior to taking that course at an institution outside GW.
- Each student MUST have their own TCA form approved prior to taking courses at an institution outside GW.
- Please do not register for a course until it has been approved by all parties involved in this process.